Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Key

  It sure has been a long time since I wrote a blog, lets see if I can gain my touch back.  I have been home for two days, and a busy two days it has been!  I have spent a lot of timing praying with and serving my fellow man the past two days, and in a conversation I had with a new friend, we talked through something that has been bugging me for a long time.  Now, before I get down to the nitty gritty, this again may offend some people, I am okay with that.  This is not meant to be a personal attack, or me encroaching on your way of living your faith, it is merely just a reflection I made that will help people further understand themselves.
  To begin, for a long time now I have had issues with this "emotional" Catholicism movement(there is only one Catholicism, hence the quotation marks).  I see people in this movement, and I see how they act and what they say, and for the longest time I could never put my finger on why it bugged me so much.  Is it not just another way to live out the faith?  Am I being unjust in looking at this idea in disdain, and looking down upon it?  With the simple answer being yes, I am being unjust, this answer is not so simple.  We all want to feel good.  Pain is a feeling that wants to be avoided.  Even animals have the want to escape pain.  We try to avoid pain at all costs.  This is where the slippery slope begins.  Did Christ not choose to suffer on the cross?  He was 100% God.  He could have done whatever he wanted, yet when Peter tried to talk him out of the cross, Jesus rebuked him saying "Get behind me Satan!"  What harsh words!  When attempted to be talked out of pain, Jesus accuses the person talking to him as being Satan!  What does this have to do with the emotional movement that I am trying to explain?  The simple reason is everything.
  I notice that for the most part in this emotional movement, people want to feel good.  They think they develop this one on one thing with God that gives them a lot of the answers.  They claim to hear God's voice and they act oddly and have these so called Fruits of the Spirit.  While I am not calling BS on all of this, I am saying think.  These Emotes are so enthralled by their emotional attachment to God, which in itself is not a bad thing at all, that they throw reason out the window.  The first thought that I would like to point out is that no matter what you say, it is near impossible to KNOW WITH CERTAINTY that a voice you hear in your prayers is indeed the voice of God.  This is where reason comes in.  This is where discernment comes in.  It is easy to get caught up in the emotion, I was there at one point too, however, this is a dangerous place to be.  Emotions are difficult to control, they make a person act impulsively at times as well as your current emotional state is hardly stable.  Only through a rational thought process can one fully determine what God is telling them in their life.
  This entire blog entry is derived from a conversation I had.  The conversation was circled around the solution to this mess of a problem.  What my friend told me made more sense than anything I have heard in a while.  It helped me sort this out, and maybe it will help you as well.  Essentially he told me that in our mind, we understand the law of the Catholic faith.  We know all the rules, all of the traditions, and all of the teachings.  However, no matter how much we know, without the heart, we have no reason to act on it.  The heart and having a real relationship with God is where this drive to follow the rules and precepts in your mind comes from.  It is not enough to have one or the other.  Both are fully necessary to the full comprehension of our rich faith.  A healthy balance of strong critical thinking and a strong emotional standing are what make a dangerous Catholic.  A Catholic who can go out and change the world.  A Catholic who will soon find their path in life.  A Catholic who shines as an example of light in the true darkness of the modern world.  I am trying my very hardest to build this foundation.  I am no where near completion, but I am on the way.  I encourage you, no matter where you are in your spiritual journey, to think about where you can balance your intelligence with your emotion.  Do not let one over power the other, for they are both hazardous to living out a true deep faith.  I hope that you took something away from this near incoherent ramble, but I think this is something very important to address.  Especially in youth.  If you have any questions or comments, please, leave me a comment.  I hope you are all living in the light.  Pax.

4 comments:

  1. Faith and reason are our companions for the Way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So as I was reading this post it sort of, kind of, but not totally, reminded me of a post I wrote on my own blog a few days ago... I think I titled it something like "Religion vs. Faith". Another good post, Colin! :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. about time you updated!! :)

    -lizw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new reader and I just have to tell you how much I enjoyed this post! It's something I've given thought to lately as well... sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in the emotional highs that come from those "moments" with God, that I begin to cherish the emotional rather than the more logical aspects of faith. But you are so right that we need a balance. By the way, I LOVE the phrase "dangerous Catholic." Good stuff, Colin!

    ReplyDelete