Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Catholic"

  After taking on atheism, other religions, and becoming stronger in our own, I am going to finally bring up something that makes me more upset than anything else.  I will simply call this group of people "Catholics."  It is not Christian of me to be angry, but this is just something that needs to be said.  I am sick of fighting people who call themselves believers and then decide that the rules do not apply to them.  They think that they have the power to re write thousands of years of Church teaching.  They think that just because it is what THEY want to do, then as long as they can misinterpret the law to fulfill their selfish desires.  I am sick to death of it, and I will tell you why.
  I have a "Catholic" friend who has been going through some hard times lately.  I was talking to this person today, and they confided in me that they were having sex with their significant other.  I made a confession joke (for you "Catholics" who don't know, yes, premarital sex IS in fact a sin, no matter how you look at it) and they tried to explain to me how them having premarital sex WAS NOT A SIN.  Really? Hang on let me pull out the catechism.  To give them credit, the premise for their argument was unquestionably TRUE.  This person said that sex is love.  What a true statement! It is about love, love used in the correct context of love.  So after I tell the person I am getting my catechism, and I get a "don't quote that shit to me" response, I go ahead and quote it anyway.  Conveniently, I was just in this section of the Catechism yesterday, and this is conveniently located under the sub heading "Offenses against chastity"
"Fornication is carnal union between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman.  It is gravely contrary to the dignity of the persons and of human sexuality which is naturally ordered to the good of spouses and the generation and education of children.  Moreover, it is a grave scandal when there is corruption of the young."
Woah! So are you telling me that no matter how hard this person would argue against this, that they are indeed wrong?  Yep!  That is exactly how it is.  The catechism uses harsh language only for very serious subjects, and clearly, this subject is serious.
  So let me get down to the nitty gritty of this situation.  If you are going to be Catholic, live it.  During my spiritual journey, there were many Church teachings that I just could not agree with, however, the Church teaches nothing but the words of everlasting life.  So even if at the beginning I could not agree with them, I accepted them as the truth they are.  Why do people find the need to fight the Church?  It is not a argument that can be won.  The Church has taught many of these teachings for well over a thousand years!  You think that what you think is more correct than a thousand years of truth?  I am willing to bet you are not the only one who has thought differently.  I mean look how successful these people were at changing things!  The reason is as such.  The Church teaches Christ.  If you wanted to change, o let us say... the teaching on premarital sex, you can just write that out and say "as long as it is for love" right?  Wrong. Very, very, very wrong.  Or an even more controversial issue, abortion.  You cannot change these without changing EVERYTHING.  It is not that easy, and you fighting it WILL NOT change anything.  So just do the right thing.  No matter how much you hate it, or its not for you, do what I had to do, accept it as the absolute truth it is.  It will be difficult, but if you choose to take your Catholicism seriously, the teaching become a beautiful poem.  So suck it up, take it in, die to your pride and live within the teachings.  The Church WILL NOT change its stances.  You just have to choose to deny your will and accept the Church's will and in turn Christs.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!
    This is something that hardly anyone cares to address or say to people these days. I'm glad that you were able to word it so brilliantly.
    - Blockie -

    ReplyDelete