Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why Deny?

Good Day my fellow warriors,
  I don't know if anybody else feels this way, but I feel like we are being attacked by atheists.  Since I have arrived at college, I have noticed an incredible amount of atheists.  Probably due to the liberal, intellectual atmosphere I see more people falling into this movement.  For instance, today I was listening to some crazy bible thumping protestant minister, and someone proposed the question, "Where is your empirical evidence that God and Heaven exist?"  This seems to be a common thought process around campus, and it is becoming more prevalent in society as a whole.
  Where is this attack coming from?  Why do people try so hard to prove that God does not exist?  These atheists are vamping up their talk, not just on Catholics, but on any God fearing person they can find.  Many of these atheists are not shy to absolutely blast you with the "absolute truth" that God cannot exist.  They throw science at you saying there is no scientific proof that God exists.  As I said earlier about the question posed to the minister, many atheists formulate this thought process.  I thought the minister answered the question beautifully.  He began by admitting that there is no scientific proof of God.  He moved on to say that there is no science that completely disproves God.  Then he came up with really creative examples.  He asked the person where is the scientific proof that their mom loved them?  Love is not a measure that can be scientifically measured, yet, it is a generally accepted thought process, even by atheists.  God is love.  That saying is something I think about a lot, on top of being the true presence of love, I now see how valuable that thought is on describing Him.  After expressing this point, he moved on to an amazing example that makes a great point.  He pointed at a building and said, "Look at that building, it has a builder.  The fact that I cannot see the builder, or prove to you with science that the builder was ever there, its generally accepted it has a builder." What a thought!  How amazing it is to think about what God has built for us, and how He built us!  We even have a builder contract of our own, the Bible!
  I am going to conclude this blog with a bunch of jumbled thoughts on atheism.  I personally think that most atheists at some point feel wronged by God.  They feel like so much stuff has happened, some great power cannot be looking over them.  We need to show these people love, not hate.  It is so easy to get angry at their seemingly short-sidedness.  I am very guilty of this myself.  I get so frustrated that these people attack what I love.  It takes every fiber in my being to not let it get to me, and explain to them, with love, where I am coming from.  Now saying that, DO NOT be afraid to stand up and defend what you believe in.  Do it with gentleness, kindness, and love but make sure that you do not back down from the challenge.  Be courageous in defending the faith!  Be a warrior for Christ, defend his name and honor!  I try to do this every day, somedays I lack the courage to stand up for myself and other days I feel like I tried and failed to make any ground.  I just pray that God grants me the strength to get up and do it again.  I know that you are all better people than I am and will ever be, so this should be no problem!  Are you ready to fight with me?

3 comments:

  1. Right on Brother! Well said. It is all about he love and the source of it. Perfect. I should send you to Rome.
    Paul Lunsford

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain bro. The mysterious thing about grace is that it is curious how some people seem to get a 55 gallon drum of it and some just a thimble full. I think some atheists are atheists because they get less grace. The great thing about the Church is that it is inclusive in its salvation calculus. It recognizes that non-Christians can be saved and that could even include atheists as long as they are responding postively and in good faith to the grace they are given. It is because of this that those who have been given much (grace) must work hard and fight the good fight to continute to spread the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s funny you should mention the atheists after all this recent debate on campus. I recently went to a debate in Woodburn between the associate pastor of the ECC and some former minister turned atheist. It was most interesting when he claimed that only 3 of the 10 commandment were relevant to modern society (not including ones like adultery, coveting, honoring parents, etc.)

    But this is nothing new for the church. The problems don't really change, it’s just the degree and form.

    Take one common example: our over-sexualized culture.
    We can find in history when pagan/male dominated societies exploited women. Horrible times when women were basically sex slaves of men without a choice. Now at least women have free will, though the outcome tends to be the same (feminists!)

    I mean, for most of human history men have pretended to follow the ideals of monogamy but in reality they were just hiding their sins. I recall one of the American plays I was in my senior year. There was a passage we cut out involving a scene where the father talks to his son about going to brothels. He advises him to only go when he gets tired of his wife but not for too long……evidently these types of things were accepted even in the late 19th early 20th century. Well, throughout all history for that matter.
    So even previous generations, that we like to think must have been “so much better”, basically had similar struggles.
    The difference now is that it is just so out in the open. Perhaps this is better because now we can debate it. I agree that it is frustrating, but we must answer the call. The atheists today are surprisingly focusing heavily on “goodness.” It seems that it could get much better or much worse from here, with all the power, technology and communication available to humans that the potential for good deeds is very high. Even atheists admit that in the first time in world history, men have the power to stop certain evils like world hunger, education, etc.
    The question is, will we make that choice?
    We have more power, but the temptations are the same, our world has changed.....but we have not. So when the modern atheists tell us religion is irrelevant and outdated, that progress has killed it they are obviously missing the big picture, focusing on the “what” and not the “why.”

    Keep up the debate Colin. You will do great.

    John Cecil

    ReplyDelete