Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reverence

  A reflection for this evening.  I took yesterday away from blogging, but I am coming back strong tonight. The title of this is reverance, but maybe lack of reverance is a better title.  This is pertaining to the mass, but mainly to the Eucharist.  To start, do we even realize the importance of the Eucharist?  Do we as Catholics understand what occurs during the mass?  These questions are incredibly important.  They are the core of what makes us Catholic.
  So what do I mean by we are not reverencing the Eucharist correctly?  I think we are taking it too lightly, we have become TOO lenient.  What do I mean by this?  We do not take the consecration seriously enough at all.  I see people texting, talking, or generally being bored by the mass.  Do we not understand how awe inspiring the consecration is?  Bread and Wine become the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ!  What a miracle! And here we are talking, texting, and ignoring what is happening.  I have a good friend down here, that after singing in the choir, thought that she did not adequately prepare enough to receive, so she stayed for the next mass.  Why do the rest of us not have that dedication to the Eucharist?  I know I would go "O hey, its time for Communion!"  This is just the first way the reverence for the Eucharist is lacking.
  Another problem is the way we receive Communion.  Most of us go up, we get the host slapped on our hand, and we shove it in our mouth.  It should be a rare occurrence that we even receive on the hand, as the Vatican has said it is the exception, and not the standard rule.  In my honest opinion, I believe that every parish should re install a Communion Rail.  How many of us have ever received Communion on our knees?  How many of us have had a paten shoved under our chin as we receive to make sure that no part falls to the ground?  My friend who I talked about before, drops to her knees everytime she receives.  It is a really awesome experience to see someone respect the Eucharist so much, that they drop to their knees to show complete and total surrender to the Eucharist.  Why can I not have the same dedication?  I sometimes fail to see the power of the Eucharist, but I still believe in its power.  I go to Eucharistic Adoration and see many people on their knees for the Lord, but when it comes to Mass, we will not offer the same respect.  I doubt any of us would walk up to the monstrance and take Jesus out of it and hold him, why do we do it during mass?  A different rant of mine is laity distributing the Eucharist, but that is an argument for a different time.
  So what is the point of all of this?  The Eucharist is what makes us Catholic, yet, we seem to forget that point and treat it like a piece of bread.  If you have never received kneeling at a Communion Rail, I encourage you to seek an opportunity.  It is a totally different experience.  You feel more into the mass.  We are Catholic, we need to express our Catholicism.  A rant for later will be my music rant, but from the music, to the tradition, to the Eucharist, we need to keep our Catholic identity.  The reverence to the Eucharist is something that needs to come back.  God bless everyone, keep the faith.

6 comments:

  1. Amen brother!!

    I think that this is certainly one of the unhappy byproducts of the N.O. celebrated as it often is--a result, of course, of poorly catechized clergy and laity. Every Mass is sacred, absolutely, but it's just so much easier to understand that reality in the Tridentine form. It's also easy to understand that reality in the N.O. celebrated as it was intended to be celebrated. But you and I know that's a rare occurrence these days. People, and too many clergy, don't even know or care what Holy Mother Church EXPECTS the N.O. to be and look like (the continued use of Latin, ad orientem, etc.)

    Couldn't agree with you more about communion rails, receiving on the tongue, and the abuse that is the ever-prevalent use of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion. Somehow, the exceptions--receiving in the hand, celebrating Mass ad populo, using EMHCs--have become the norm, the ordinary. It is saddening.

    But the Cure D'Ars reminds us: "To what outrages does out Lord expose himself in the Blessed Sacrament that he may remain in the midst of us!" Yes, indeed, he puts up with a lot of liturgical abuses--almost more than I can stand. And I thank God he does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can follow all your abbreviations, but I am sure other people will struggle haha. I am glad you enjoy it, thank you for the words of encouragement. Hope your studies are going well, I don't want a lame priest roaming around here in the next six years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found this blog post on mike's blog roll actually. it was written by another seminarian and he explains why he now receives on the hand. This quote from his blog really made me think twice about receiving on the tongue...

    "But as it stands, I feel I must pick the lesser of two “evils,” in that I, a non-ordained man, would rather hold our Lord in my sinning hands than see my King fall at my feet."

    http://christeaudinos.blogspot.com/2009/10/communion-in-hand-controversy-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good quote. I had a discussion with him about the issue at hand (no pun intended). He and I are perfectly willing to receive in the hand if there is good reason for it. For instance, if Father is along in years and shaking, I wouldn't want to risk it. And then there are some priests who make it, shall I say, rather difficult to receive on the tongue because that is not their preference. In those cases, I, too, will receive in my hands--especially in the absence of a paten. But, all things being equal, I much prefer to receive on the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i usually receive on the hand from EMHC's in bloomington since so few people do and the EMHC's tend to just kinda frisbee it in your mouth.

    my home parish banned receiving on the tongue for awhile this summer because of "swine flu." actually i didn't start receiving on the tongue until i came to IU and felt compelled to do so because of the general lack of reverence during Mass (*especially* at st. paul).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I can't believe I've never seriously considered it before, but you're right about the "options" that have become the norm. Guess I never realized cause it's always been that way at my parish.
    Right now, my parish has banned receiving on the tongue due to flu season, and I really miss it. I actually serve the mass as a Knight, and we always receive on the tongue. I feel like it's much more reverent. (And I've never dropped it once)

    ReplyDelete